Like this article? We recommend
The SharePoint product itself, along with additional tools, can help you to enable enforcement of policies and processes. Be sure to visit the CodePlex SharePoint Governance and Manageability site, a workspace designed for governance and manageability samples and tools designed to help IT professionals. Here are some of the available tools:
- Microsoft SAT SharePoint Cross-Site Configurator 1.0. For standardization and consistency of master pages, auditing, content types, and more. How else would you want to use it?
- Microsoft IT Site Delete Capture 1.0. Simply captures sites that are deleted by end users and backs them up to disk using the event model. You have a recycle bin, but this is basically a site recycle bin, available only to administrators. Works with Windows SharePoint Services (WSS) 3.0 and Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007.
- MSIT Site Life Cycle Management 1.0. Notify, backup, and then delete unused, unneeded sites. Works with WSS 3.0 and Office SharePoint Server 2007.
- MSIT Usage Reporting Framework 2.0. Simple reporting framework to gather usage and storage metrics on WSS 3.0 and MOSS 2007; works with multiple farms. Note the caveats with SQL read queries listed on the framework home page (direct SELECT statements against the database).
- Toolbox.net. The SharePoint Toolbox is a set of MSIT tools, starting with the copy timer for analyzing latency and its impact on SharePoint uploads and downloads. Be sure to check this workspace for other tools.
- TweakSP central admin extensions. TweakSP is a solution that extends SharePoint’s Central Administration, providing additional functionality. Examples content database storage size, hierarchy, and log viewer.