Operating Systems, Server
Like this article? We recommend
Debian Package Categories
- main: The official Debian archive. Other package categories
are distributed through Debian repositories for convenience but are not
- contrib: Packages in this area are freely licensed by the
copyright holder but depend on other software that is not free.
- non-free: Packages in this area have some onerous license
condition restricting use or redistribution of the software.
- restricted: License terms of packages here completely
conflict with Debian licensing. Some packages may not be legal in some
jurisdictions. This comes from the Debian unofficial site.
- deb: Debian binaries. Simply download and auto-install them
with apt-get, aptitude, or a GUI-like synaptic, or download manually and install
- deb-src: Debian source. These are the source code versions
repackaged for the convenience of Debian users instead of as regular tarballs.
You have to build them, not install them. That’s outside the scope of this
initial tutorial, but the
gives more information on this.