- Using the Explorer Window
- Changing the Explorer Window View
- Opening and Viewing the Computer
- Viewing and Opening Documents
- Opening Recently Used Documents
- Working with Personal Folders
- Navigating Between Folders
- Viewing the Folders List
- Changing the Explorer Layout
- Customizing the Navigation Pane
- Organizing Files by Headings
- Searching for Files and Folders
- Saving a Search
- Changing Search Options
- Performing an Instant Search
- Performing an Advanced Search
- Performing Natural Language Searches
- Modifying the Index to Improve Searches
- Adding Properties and Tags to Files
- Creating and Renaming Files and Folders
- Copying and Moving Files and Folders
- Deleting and Restoring Files and Folders
- Creating a Shortcut to a File or Folder
- Hiding Files and Folders
- Changing Folder Options
- Changing File and Folder List Views
- Customizing Personal Folders
- Sharing Folders or Files with Others
- Compressing Files and Folders
- Managing Files Using a CD or DVD
Deleting and Restoring Files and Folders
When you organize the contents of a folder, disk, or the desktop, you might find files and folders that you no longer need. You can delete these items or remove them from the disk. If you delete a file or folder from the desktop or from the hard disk, it goes into the Recycle Bin. The Recycle Bin, located on your desktop, is a temporary storage area for deleted files. The Recycle Bin stores all the items you delete from your hard disk so that if you accidentally delete an item, you can remove it from the Recycle Bin to restore it. Be aware that if you delete a file from a removable disk, it is permanently deleted, not stored in the Recycle Bin. The files in the Recycle Bin do occupy room on your computer, so you need to empty it to free up space.
Delete Files and Folders
- Select the files and folders you want to delete.
- Click the Organize button on the toolbar, and then click Delete.
- Click Yes to confirm the deletion and place the items in the Recycle Bin.
- On the desktop, right-click the Recycle Bin icon, and then click Empty Recycle Bin.
Your computer permanently removes the items.
Restore Files and Folders
- Double-click the Recycle Bin icon on the desktop.
- Select the item or items you want to restore.
- Click the Restore this item or Restore all items button on the toolbar.