- Vista's Stability Improvements
- Checking Your Hard Disk for Errors
- Checking Free Disk Space
- Deleting Unnecessary Files
- Defragmenting Your Hard Disk
- Setting System Restore Points
- Backing Up Your Files
- Checking for Updates and Security Patches
- Reviewing Event Viewer Logs
- Setting Up a 10-Step Maintenance Schedule
- From Here
Here's a list of sections in the book where you'll find related information on Windows Vista maintenance:
- To learn how to log on automatically, see the "Setting Up an Automatic Logon" section in Chapter 2.
- For the details on launching programs automatically at system startup, see the "Launching Applications and Scripts at Startup" section in Chapter 5.
- For more about scripting Windows Vista, see Chapter 12, "Programming the Windows Script Host."
- If, despite your diligent maintenance, you run into problems, see Chapter 16, "Troubleshooting and Recovering from Problems." Also, see the section titled "Troubleshooting Device Problems" in Chapter 17.