- A: Where Will You Meet After a Disaster?
- B: Make Your Phone Numbers Follow You
- C: Recognize the Benefits and Pitfalls of Wireless Phones
- D: Consider Two-Way Radios
- E: Carry Pagers
- F: Large Campus? Consider a Low-Power AM Broadcast Station
- G: Who Will Clean Up the Mess?
- H: Who Rewires the Building?
- I: Consult a Commercial Disaster-Recovery Center
- J: Are Your People Willing to Leave Town in a Disaster?
- K: What If Some People Dont Show Up?
- L: Does Everyone Know How to Get to the Recovery Center?
- M: Test Your Recovery Center
- N: Do You Know How to Use the Recovery Center Phones?
- O: Whos in Charge of the Recovery?
- P: Keeping the EMT Apprised
- Q: Who Will Retrieve Data Stored Offsite?
- R: Consider Online Vaulting
- S: Where Is Your Voice Mail System?
- T: Look Carefully at Automated Call Distribution Units
- U: Dont Expect Anything to Work the First Time After a Disaster
- V: Where Will You Get Telecommunications Test Equipment?
- W: For Want of a Nail
- X: Seen Any Good Books Lately?
- Y: Could You Work at the Recovery Center for a Long Time?
- Z: What Did You Learn From Your Last Test?
- Summary: What Did You Learn from This Series?
O: Who’s in Charge of the Recovery?
Issue: Even a dominant telecommunications department is going to play "supporting cast" to higher management in a disaster. Are these higher-ups identified in your telecommunications recovery plan? Many organizations use the concept of an Executive Management Team (EMT). The EMT is the group of people who meet at temporary facilities or staging areas (residence, hotel, branch office, or some other location) to coordinate the overall recovery.
Action: As part of your disaster-recovery coordination, plan for the EMT to have ready access to phones, fax, email, high-speed Internet, and other telecommunications technologies essential to command and control. While we’re on this subject, remember that your staff may be split three ways after a disaster. Some people will be going to the recovery center, some will stay to coordinate the cleanup, and some will staff the EMT.