- Editing Data
- Overwriting and Deleting Data
- Undoing and Redoing Changes
- Inserting Cells
- Deleting Cells
- Inserting and Deleting Rows
- Inserting and Deleting Columns
- Cutting, Copying, and Pasting Data
- Flipping Rows and Columns
- Moving Data
- Finding Data
- Replacing Data
- Adding and Viewing Cell Comments
- Editing and Deleting Cell Comments
- Inserting Symbols
- Tracking Changes
- Accepting or Rejecting Tracked Changes
- Checking Spelling
Inserting and Deleting Columns
You can insert extra columns into a worksheet to make room for more data or formulas. Adding more columns, which gives the appearance of adding space between columns, can also make the worksheet easier to read. Alternatively, you might want to delete columns from a worksheet to close up some empty space or remove unwanted information.
After you click a cell to the left of which you want to add a column, open the Insert menu and choose Columns.
A new column is inserted (notice the Insert Options Format Painter smart tag, which allows you to format the column like the one to its left, to its right, or to apply no formatting).
To delete a column, right-click the column heading of the column you want to delete, and choose Delete from the shortcut menu that appears.
The column is deleted.