Entering the Formula
FREQUENCY is an array formula and must be entered using the special techniques that are required by all array formulas. Here’s what to do:
- Select the range where you want the results displayed. This range must contain one column and the same number of cells as are in your list of bin values. It can be adjacent to the bin values, but that’s not a requirement. For the example, I used cells E3:E9.
- Enter =FREQUENCY( to begin entry of the function.
- Drag over the data values or enter the range address.
- Enter a comma.
- Drag over the list of bin values or enter the range address.
- Enter a closing parenthesis.
- Press Ctrl+Shift+Enter to complete entry of the array formula.
In Figure 2, cells E3:E9 contain the values calculated by FREQUENCY for the various bins. In this example, 16 autos had 2 or fewer defects, 12 autos had 3 or 4 defects, and so on.
Figure 2 The frequency distribution is calculated and displayed in cells E3:E9.