From the author of
- In his paper "The Evolution of the Unix Time-sharing System," Dennis M. Ritchie describes how pipes were introduced in the UNIX operating system.
- David Garlan and Mary Shaw talk about pipes and filters in their paper "An Introduction to Software Architecture."
- For details on SAX, be sure to consult the official website.
- SAX has recently switched over to the SourceForge project infrastructure. The intent is to continue the open development and maintenance process for SAX.
- SAX is not just for Java. Many languages support SAX parsing of XML.
- Check out Rusty Harold’s discussion of SAX filters.
- Read Dave Pawson’s comparison of SAX filters vs. XSLT transforms.
- IBM has a handy tip on using the event versus stream interface in StAX.
- The StAX project was spearheaded by BEA with support from Sun Microsystems. The StAX JSR 173 specification passed the Java Community Process final approval ballot in March, 2004.
- The Java Web Services Tutorial on StAX is a useful reference.