- What Is PGP? GPG?
- Why Should You Care?
- Is GPG Hard to Use?
- Does It Work with Other Crypto Programs?
- Where Can You Find GPG?
- How Does It Work?
- How to Install It
- How to Use It
- Generate Your Key
- Export Your Key
- Key Management Window
- Importing a Key via the Clipboard
- Importing a Key from the Key Server Network
- Open the GPG Text Editor
- Right-Click Menu
- File Encryption/Decryption
- Possible Legal Hazards
How Does It Work?
PGP/GPG use the RSA public/private key encryption algorithm.
The main features of interest to potential users with respect to PGP/GPG security include these:
- the RSA algorithm underlying PGP/GPG is the basis for most secure communications in or out of government
- that top analysts both in and out of government agree that it works
- the only serious argument I’ve seen about PGP/GPG security when the programs are used properly is whether or not the cipher can be cracked by top-flight intelligence agencies. While we don’t know the answer to this, it’s not a question that the great majority of users need the answer to. If the NSA is after you, you are in more trouble than any software package can get you out of.