- Introduction to the Second Edition
- Who Should Read This Book?
- How This Book Is Organized
- What Are You Protecting?
- Who Are Your Enemies?
- What They Hope to Accomplish
- Costs: Protection versus Break-Ins
- Protecting Hardware
- Protecting Network and Modem Access
- Protecting System Access
- Protecting Files
- Preparing for and Detecting an Intrusion
- Recovering from an Intrusion
1.13 Recovering from an Intrusion
The White House Web server was down for days after it seemed to have been broken into. We will look at some techniques to detect and recover even from a successful intrusion. These techniques will allow detection and recovery in only a few minutes with minimal loss of data. The White House system and many other large sites that were down for one or more business days following break-ins could have benefited from these techniques.