- Domain Design Overview
- Choosing Your Domain Namespace
- New Domain Design Features in Windows .NET Server 2003
- Choosing Your Domain Structure
- Single Domain Model
- Multiple Subdomain Model
- Multiple Trees in a Single Forest Model
- Federated Forests Design Model
- Peer-Root Domain Model
- Placeholder Domain Model
- Special-Purpose Domains
- Renaming an Active Directory Domain
- Best Practices
Fully understand the structure of Active Directory.
Secure the internal namespace from registration anywhere on the Internet other than in your own network.
Consider using a single domain design.
Consider using multiple domains if decentralized administration is required.
Consider using the federated forest design model when uniting two disparate Active Directory structures.
Control and optimize replication traffic by using sites.
Upgrade any down-level clients to reduce administration and maintenance.