Change App Settings
There are four category tiles on the AVG AntiVirus home screen shown in Figure 7 that give you important information about the health of your Tab 4 at a glance. These tiles are, from top to bottom on the screen:
- Protection: Tells you if you’re protected or not and when the last virus scan was performed.
- Performance: Includes the battery status and how much storage space you have remaining on the Tab 4.
- Anti-Theft: Displays your anti-theft settings, which are not activated by default.
- Privacy: Shows the current state of your App Backup and App Lock services, which are only available in the AVG AntiVirus Security Pro edition.
Figure 7. The bottom of the screen tells you when your last scan was performed and you can scan the Tab 4 again by tapping the Scan Now button.
Tap each category tile to view detailed settings and change those settings within the appropriate category settings screen. Note that within each category settings screen an ad appears at the bottom of the screen, which is a standard feature in the free version of AVG AntiVirus.
Tap the Protection tile to view the Protection settings screen shown in Figure 8. Tap one of the following options in the settings list:
- Protect More Devices: Get more information about the free AVG Zen app you can download and install in the Google Play Store. The AVG Zen app allows you to manage anti-virus protection for all your Android devices from your Tab 4.
- Update Now: View your current app version number and check to see if there any app updates to install.
- File Scanner: Scan an individual file to see if it contains any viruses.
- Safe Web Surfing: By default, AVG AntiVirus monitors websites you visit in the web browser app of your choice and AVG AntiVirus alerts you if the website you visit is potentially unsafe. Tap Save Web Surfing to turn this feature off.
- Scan External Storage: Scans your external SD card as well as your internal storage for viruses.
- Auto-Scan Frequency: By default, AVG AntiVirus scans your Tab 4 once a week for viruses. Tap this option to change the frequency in the Select Frequency window. You can choose from Once a Day, Once a Week, or Never. If you tap Never, you have to scan your system manually by tapping the Scan Now button in the AVG AntiVirus home screen.
- Scanning Sensitivity: By default, the sensitivity is High, which means AVG AntiVirus will check for viruses, malware, PUP, and adware. Tap this option to change the setting in the Scanning Sensitivity window. In the window, tap Low to scan only for viruses and malware, High, or Extra Sensitive to scan your files more thoroughly for viruses, malware, PUP, and adware.
- Clear Ignore List: Clear the list of apps and/or settings you want AVG AntiVirus to ignore in subsequent scans.
Figure 8. You can scan the Tab 4 by tapping the Scan Now button at the top of the list.
Return to the AVG AntiVirus home screen by tapping Protection at the left side of the menu bar that appears at the top of the screen.
Tap the Performance tile to check your current Tab 4 performance and download other AVG performance tools in the Performance settings screen shown in Figure 8. Tap one of the following options in the settings list:
- Install AVG Cleaner: Get more information about the free AVG Zen app you can download and install in the Google Play Store.
- Clean Another Device: Open the Google Play Store app and get more information about (as well as download and install) the free AVG Zen app, which you can use to clean other Android devices from your Tab 4.
- Cache Cleaner: Get more information about the free AVG Cleaner & Battery Saver app you can download and install in the Google Play Store. This app provides tools for freeing up memory space and adding battery life.
- Task Killer: View running tasks and processes and stop tasks and processes that may be slowing your Tab 4 down.
- Battery Consumption: View your current battery level and time remaining on your current charge. You can also take steps to save battery life (such as turn off Wi-Fi) and view battery settings. By default, AVG AntiVirus will warn you when the battery life drops to 30% power.
- Storage Usage: Show a list of the apps and services taking up storage space on your Tab 4 and your SD card if one is installed. You can free up storage space by tapping one or more apps and/or services in the list.
- Data Plan: View all apps and services that have employed Wi-Fi traffic since the last time you restarted your system.
Return to the AVG AntiVirus home screen by tapping Performance at the left side of the menu bar that appears at the top of the screen.
If you want to activate Anti-Theft functionality, tap the Anti-Theft tile on the AVG AntiVirus home screen. Before you can access this functionality, you need to create an account with AVG using your Gmail account as the login ID as shown in Figure 10.
Figure 10. After you create an account, tap the Log In tab in the login window to access the Anti-Theft settings page.
After you set up your account, you need to log in with that account every time you tap the Anti-Theft tile on the screen. I won’t cover anti-theft features in this article because they are secondary to the app’s primary mission of fighting viruses and other types of malware. Return to the AVG AntiVirus home screen by tapping the Back touch button.
Tap the Privacy tile on the AVG AntiVirus home screen to install the AVG PrivacyFix app to protect your privacy while you use social networking apps such as Facebook or Twitter. You can view more information about the AVG PrivacyFix app by tapping Install AVG PrivacyFix or Online Privacy in the menu.
If you want to use the App Lock or App Backup features, you need to upgrade to AVG AntiVirus Security Pro to use them. You’ll learn more about upgrading AVG AntiVirus later in this article. Three options for wiping data appear at the bottom of the list shown in Figure 11:
- Wipe Device: Open the Settings screen to perform a Factory Data Reset.
- Wipe Data by Category: You can wipe data in one or more of your accounts such as your Samsung account, wipe your history in the Internet app, and/or wipe all bookmarks from the Internet app. This option does not wipe history or bookmarks from the Google Chrome web browser app.
- Wipe SD Card: Wipe all data on your SD card if one is installed.
Figure 11. The Wipe options appear underneath the Online Privacy option in the menu.
Return to the AVG AntiVirus home screen by tapping Privacy at the left side of the menu bar that appears at the top of the screen.