Finding and Adding Widgets to Your Home Screens on Your Samsung Galaxy Tab 4
Samsung and Google updated Android 4.4.2 in the autumn of 2014 to add and delete widgets that you can find by tapping the Apps icon in the lower-right corner of the Home screen and then tapping the Widgets tab on the Home screen. There are seven pages within the Widgets screen (see Figure 1) and you can view all the widgets by swiping left and right to view another page.
Figure 1 Six widgets appear in the first page of the Widgets screen.
There are four differences between the list of available widgets in My Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 and this article:
- There are now seven widget pages, not eight.
- The Flipboard newsreader app widgets are no longer included. You can still download the Flipboard app and its related widgets from the Google Play Store.
- There is a new, small Google Play Music icon.
- There is no longer a YouTube widget; though, you can still use the preinstalled app on your Tab 4.
The Widgets screen pages have been refreshed, too, with some icons sporting a new look.
Examine the Page 1 Widgets
Figure 2 shows the following widgets on page 1 of the Widgets screen:
- Active Applications: Opens the Task Manager screen, so you can see all active applications, view downloaded apps, and manage memory and storage.
- Book: Opens the Google Play Books app and shows you a list of all books you’ve downloaded. Then you can add a book to the Home screen by tapping the book in the list. The book cover icon appears with the book title on the Home screen. When you tap the book cover icon, Google Play Books opens and displays the most recent page of the book you read.
- Bookmark: Opens the Internet app, so you can select a bookmarked website on the Choose a Bookmark screen. After you select the bookmark in the appropriate folder, the bookmarked website appears as an icon on the Home screen. View the website in the Internet app by tapping on the bookmark icon.
- Bookmarks: Places a larger widget on the screen so, you can select a bookmark from directly within the widget. Swipe up and down within the widget to view folders and then tap a folder name; after you find the bookmark you want within the folder, you tap it. The website appears in the Internet or Chrome app. When you return to the Home screen, you can navigate to and open a bookmark from within the widget.
- Calendar (mini today): Displays a small calendar for the current day that shows a brief list of your appointments that day.
Calendar (month): Displays a small calendar for the current month that shows a brief list of your appointments every day during the month as well as a list of your appointments for the current day.
Figure 2 Page 1 of the Widgets screen.