Practicing the CASh Workflow
Think back to the categories and pages we planned earlier:
We’ve completed our first category: Information. Here’s what we’ll do next. We’re going to give you a full step-by-step guide to creating the Attractions category, articles, and menu links. Then we’ll let you tackle the Transport category by yourself. Sample text for all of the articles for these categories is available at www.joomla3explained.com/chapter5.
Step 1: Categorize
- Go to Category Manager under the Content drop-down menu and click the “New” button.
Enter Attractions in the Title field and click Save & Close. Check that your Category Manager looks like Figure 5.26.
Figure 5.26 Your Category Manager with the Attractions category added
Step 2: Add
- Go to Article Manager under the Content drop-down menu and click the “New” button.
- Enter Museum in the Title field.
- Choose Attractions from the Category drop-down menu.
- Copy and paste the text from www.joomla3explained.com/chapter5 into your article.
Click Save & Close and then add the “Zoo” and “Aquarium” articles. Check that your Article Manager looks like Figure 5.27.
Figure 5.27 Your Article Manager with the Attractions articles added
Step 3: Show
- Go to Main Menu under the Menus drop-down menu and click the “New” button.
- Click the “Select” button next to Menu Item Type, and then click Single Article.
- Click the “Select” button next to Select Article, and then click Museum.
- Enter Museum in the Menu Title field.
- Click Save & Close to complete the creation of your menu link.
Add the Zoo and Aquarium menu links. Check that your Menu Manager looks like Figure 5.28.
Figure 5.28 Your Menu Manager with the Attractions menu links added
Now that you’ve finished using the CASh workflow, your Main Menu should look like Figure 5.29. Click on the links, and you’ll see all the articles you’ve written.
Figure 5.29 Your Attractions articles shown in your Main Menu
Congratulations. That wasn’t too bad, was it? If you’re ready, let’s see if you can do that again but without step-by-step directions:
- Your task is to create the Transport category, articles, and menu links.
- Sample text for all three articles is available at www.joomla3explained.com/chapter5.
- If you get stuck, don’t worry. Full instructions are also available at www.joomla3explained.com/chapter5.
When you’re finished, your Main Menu should look like Figure 5.30.
Figure 5.30 Your Transport articles published in your Main Menu
If we take a step back and look at your whole site, it should look like Figure 5.31.
Figure 5.31 Your Joomla site at the end of Chapter 5
Congratulations! You’ve done an excellent job to get this far, and by understanding the CASh workflow you’ve found the key to building a Joomla site.
If you put this chapter down and don’t remember anything except Joomla’s CASh workflow, you’ll be in good shape. Write it down, print it on a T-shirt, sing it in the shower, tattoo it on your arm, or do whatever else you need to do to remember it. This is how you add content to your Joomla site:
- Step 1. Categorize. Create categories so that you can organize your articles.
- Step 2. Add. Write your articles.
- Step 3. Show. Create menu links so that people can click through and see your articles.