- Launch Query Studio
- Query Studio High-Level Interface
- Report Types
- Open an Existing Report
- Create a List Report
- Run the Report
- Change Layout
- Create a Crosstab Report
- Create Filters
- Summarize Report
- Sort Data
- Create Calculations
- Create Charts
- Define Conditional Styles
- In a Nutshell: Reviewing by IBM Cognos BI Audience
Charts enable you to display the data graphically and highlight the trends and relationships in the data that are not clearly visible in a report. When working with charts, Query Studio provides options to display the Chart only, or both the Chart and a table.
You can create Column, Bar, Pie, Line, Column-Line, Area, and Radar chart types in Query Studio. For each of the chart types other than Pie and Radar, you can choose them to be Standard, Stacked, or 100 Percent Stacked. Further customization options are available for charts depending upon the chart type selected.
Some points to consider when choosing a chart type are as follows:
- Column charts are useful when you want to compare data or see trends over time.
- Pie charts are a good option to display a contribution of the parts to the whole. It can plot only one data series; if you require more than one, you should use another type and choose 100 Percent Stacked. When you display the report in PDF or HTML, you can show 16 pies or gauges per chart. For Pie charts you can choose from one of the four chart types: Standard, 100%, Standard with 3-D Visual Effect, and 100 Percent with 3-D Visual Effect configurations.
- Line, Column, Area, and Bar charts are commonly used to display trends in time or contrast values across different categories.
- Column-Line charts are typically used to compare different kinds of quantitative information.
- Radar charts are typically used to compare groups of related information against actual values.
To create charts, perform the following steps:
- In IBM Cognos Connection, click Launch > Query Studio.
- Select GO Data Warehouse (query) package when prompted to select a package.
- Click the New icon on the Standard toolbar.
- Expand GO Data Warehouse (query) > Sales and Marketing (query) > Sales (query).
- Expand Retailers > click Region > click the Insert button.
- Expand Sales fact > click Revenue > click the Insert button.
- Click the Chart icon on the Standard toolbar.
- Choose the Chart and table option, as shown in Figure 5.22.
Figure 5.22. Chart and table in a report.
- Click OK.
Expand Products > drag and drop Product line to the right of Region (as the middle column).
NOTE: The chart was automatically updated.
- Click anywhere in the list > click the Pivot icon on the toolbar to create a crosstab report.
On the toolbar, click the Swap Rows and Columns icon > click OK.
NOTE: You can swap the rows and columns for either the chart or the list or both (default).
NOTE: The report now contains both the Chart and List reports. If you have a Crosstab report, you can also change the perspective by using the Swap Rows and Columns option, as shown in Figure 5.23.
Figure 5.23. Swap Rows and Columns on the List.