As you’ve seen in this chapter, Siri can help you shop for goods and services with a few well-chosen words. Whether you’re looking for a specific type of restaurant or store, checking average prices for commodities, preparing a shopping list, or just trying to get directions to or from a store, Siri has the answer.
When using Siri to simplify your shopping trips, here are some things to keep in mind:
- Siri’s search results are often sorted by distance from your current location for stores, and restaurants are sorted by the rating they’ve achieved on Yelp.
- Siri can look up average prices for certain commodities in your area like milk and gasoline, but it can’t tell you the prices of specific items at a particular store.
- Purchasing something in another currency? Ask Siri to calculate how much the item costs in your local currency—but watch out for those expensive data roaming charges if you’re off your usual mobile carrier’s network.
- Need to write a shopping list? You don’t have to drag out a piece of paper and a pencil. Create a special list in Reminders, and then tell Siri what to add to the list. You can share your shopping list with others through iCloud, and set it up to remind you to pick up items when you’re near a store.
- Let Siri do the math. Why drag out the Calculator app when Siri splits tabs, calculates tips, and figures out how much everything costs with tax added?
- Although Siri excels at finding directions to and from locations, at this early date it won’t yet give you turn-by-turn verbal instructions. This is another feature we’re hoping to see in future updates.