How To Choose Between Twitter and Facebook: Strengths and Weaknesses
- How Many People Does Each Social Site Reach?
- What's the Character of Each Site?
- Do You Need a Multimedia Experience for Your Marketing?
- What Can You Achieve via Media and Bloggers?
- What Advertising Options Are Available for Twitter and Facebook?
- Are You Marketing to Other Businesses or Direct to Consumers?
- Will You Need to Do Customer Service?
- Is Your Business Local?
- How Important Is ROI?
The social media industry has been working out how to track business results from Twitter for a year or two longer than with Facebook. But Facebook reaches at least 40 times as many people as Twitter does, and there are a number of other important areas of comparison, as detailed in Figure 1.
How Many People Does Each Social Site Reach?
The biggest difference between Facebook and Twitter, which impacts many of the other criteria, is that about eight times as many people use Facebook. As of this writing, Facebook has around 800 million active users (active being defined as those who use the site at least once a month). Twitter has more than 200 million accounts, but only about 100 million users log in at least once per month, and of those, only 60% tweet once per month, according to the Huffington Post.