Viewing, Editing, and Working with Video
As you learned earlier, you can capture video clips. Once captured, you can view clips on your iPod touch, edit them, and share them.
Watching videos you’ve captured with your iPod touch is simple.
- Move to the Photos application and open the Camera Roll source. Video clips have a camera icon and running time at the bottom of their icons.
Tap the clip you want to watch.
- Rotate the video to change its orientation if necessary.
Tap either Play button. The video plays. After a few moments, the toolbars disappears.
Tap the video. The toolbars reappear.
- To pause the video, tap Pause.
- To jump to a specific point in a clip, drag the playhead to where you want to start playing it; if you hold your finger in one place for a period of time, the thumbnails expand so your placement of the playhead can be more precise. When you lift your thumb, the playhead remains at its current location; if the clip is playing, it resumes playing from that point.
You can trim a video clip to remove unwanted parts. Here’s how you do it.
- View the video you want to edit.
Drag the left crop marker to where you want the edited clip to start. If you hold your finger in one place for a period of time, the thumbnails expand so your placement of the crop marker can be more precise. As soon as you move the crop marker, the part of the clip that is inside the selection is highlighted in the yellow box; the Trim button also appears.
- Drag the right crop marker to where you want the edited clip to end.
- Tap Trim Original to edit the clip and replace the original version with the edited version or Save as New Clip to create a new clip containing only the frames between the crop markers. The frames outside the crop markers are removed from the clip. The clip is trimmed and replaces the original clip or a new clip is created depending on the option you selected.
You can share videos you’ve taken on your iPod touch by email, text message, or YouTube. (You must have a YouTube account to share videos via YouTube.) Sharing videos via email or text message is just like sharing photos. Move to the clip, tap the Action button, and tap Email Video or Message (see the steps to perform these tasks with photos earlier in this chapter for details).
You can share your videos on YouTube by performing the following steps.
- View the video you want to share.
Tap the Action button.
Tap Send to YouTube. The video is compressed for YouTube.
Enter your YouTube username and password, and tap Sign In. You don’t have to do this every time; it depends if you’ve signed out of your account. If you aren’t prompted to log in, you already are.
Enter a title and description of the video clip.
Enter one or more tags.
- Associate the clip with a category.
- Tap the level of access for the clip.
Tap Publish. The clip is posted to YouTube. You see progress information on the video’s screen.
- Tap the action you want, which can be View on YouTube to immediately view your posted clip or Tell a Friend to send a message that contains a link to your video.