Using Wi-Fi Hotspots
Your NOOK Color can connect to Wi-Fi networks other than the one you initially set up. B&N offers free Wi-Fi access in all B&N stores. If you take your NOOK Color to a B&N store, it will automatically connect to the Wi-Fi hotspot in that store.
For more information on using your NOOK Color in a B&N store, see Chapter 9, "Shopping and Visiting B&N on Your NOOK Color."
To connect your NOOK Color to a Wi-Fi hotspot other than one in a B&N store, follow these steps:
- Tap the Nav Arrow. (It's the up-point arrow just above the Home button.) This displays the Quick Nav Bar. You look at the Quick Nav Bar later, but for now tap Settings.
- Tap Wireless on the touchscreen. If Wi-Fi is Off, tap Off to turn it On.
- Tap the Wi-Fi hotspot you want to use. (Your NOOK Color displays the SSID for all Wi-Fi hotspots in range.)
- If required, enter the password for your Wi-Fi hotspot
- Tap Connect.
Your NOOK Color should now indicate that it is connected; you should see the Wi-Fi signal indicator in the Status Bar on the bottom right next to the battery indicator.
If your Wi-Fi hotspot isn't listed after you turn on Wi-Fi or is not in the list of Wireless Networks, tap Other Network. You can then enter the service set identifier (SSID), select the type of security (if the Wi-Fi is secured), and enter the password for your Wi-Fi hotspot if necessary. If you don't know this information, ask the person who set up the Wi-Fi network.
Your NOOK Color can connect to a Wi-Fi hotspot that requires you to browse to a web page to authenticate yourself. For example, many hotel Wi-Fi hotspots require you to enter a room number or other information to connect. You can connect to a Wi-Fi hotspot that has this requirement by launching the web browser from the Quick Nav Bar after you've joined the Wi-Fi network.
Disconnecting and Forgetting a Wi-Fi Hotspot
If you want to stop using a Wi-Fi hotspot, you have two options: disconnect or forget. Disconnect just prevents your NOOK Color from connecting to that Wi-Fi hotspot. Forgetting the hotspot removes the information about the hotspot from your NOOK Color. If you later want to reconnect to that hotspot, you will have to set it up all over again. To disconnect or forget a Wi-Fi hotspot, follow these steps:
- Tap the Nav Arrow. This displays the Quick Nav Bar.
- Tap Settings. This displays the Settings screen.
- If Wi-Fi is turned off, turn it on.
- Tap the Wi-Fi hotspot. This displays a pop-up window.
- Tap Forget to disconnect from the Wi-Fi hotspot.
For more information on configuring the settings in your NOOK Color (including turning off the Wi-Fi card), see "Your NOOK Color's Settings" in Chapter 2, "Customizing and Configuring Your NOOK Color."