A Few Things to Note
Now that your have rooted your NOOKcolor, you should keep a few things in mind:
- The NOOKcolor does not have a GPS, camera, or microphone, so apps that use those features will not work (for example, you cannot make calls with the Skype app).
- Many of the references in the apps and market refer to your phone. This is quite natural because Android is widely deployed on phones. This terminology will change over time as more Android tablets (for example, the Samsung Galaxy) reach the market.
- The Return and Menu options change from app to app. The Menu options in particular provide access to settings, viewing options, and so on.
- After you have installed apps, they appear in the Extras area only after you reboot your NOOKcolor.
- Whenever you press the Home button, you are presented with two options asking you to complete the action using Home and Softkeys. Most of the time, tap Home. For more information about Softkeys, see the following section.
- nookdevs.com keeps a list of known app issues, whether working or not. You can see the list here: http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_working_apps. This does not mean you cannot install other apps, but you may run into some oddities here and there.
What Is Softkeys?
You by now have seen the option to use Softkeys, but what is Softkeys? Basically, Softkeys is an app that provides some buttons that are normally on phones that are not available on other devices. I personally haven’t found much use for Softkeys, though it does have a nice function. If you tap the Softkeys icon, a set of buttons appears on the top and bottom of the NOOKcolor screen. The top shows the most recent apps you have opened. Tapping one of those opens that app.
Problems with YouTube
Sometimes the YouTube app simply refuses to start. There is, fortunately, a simple way to resolve the problem. Download the Titanium Backup app from the Android Market (the free version). Once that is installed, open it and tap OK to get through the warnings. Tap Backup/Restore and scroll down to YouTube. Tap YouTube and then tap Wipe Data. You should then be able to open the YouTube app.