- Locating and Inserting Clip Art
- Inserting a Picture
- Inserting a Picture Screen Shot
- Adding an Artistic Style to a Picture
- Adding a Quick Style to a Picture
- Applying a Shape to a Picture
- Applying a Border to a Picture
- Applying Picture Effects
- Modifying Picture Size
- Compressing a Picture
- Correcting a Picture
- Recoloring a Picture
- Cropping and Rotating a Picture
- Removing a Picture Background
- Creating WordArt Text
- Formatting WordArt Text
- Applying WordArt Text Effects
- Modifying WordArt Text Position
- Creating SmartArt Graphics
- Formatting a SmartArt Graphic
- Modifying a SmartArt Graphic
- Adding Pictures to a SmartArt Graphic
- Creating an Organization Chart
- Inserting and Creating a Chart
- Changing a Chart Layout and Style
- Changing Chart Labels
- Formatting Line and Bar Charts
- Editing Chart Data
- Saving a Chart Template
Inserting and Creating a Chart
A chart provides a visual, graphical representation of numerical data. Charts add visual interest and useful information represented by lines, bars, pie slices, or other markers. A group of data values from a worksheet row or column of data makes up a data series. Each data series has a unique color or pattern on the chart. Titles on the chart, horizontal (x-axis), and vertical (y-axis) identify the data. Gridlines are horizontal and vertical lines to help the reader determine data values in a chart. When you choose to place the chart on an existing sheet, rather than on a new sheet, the chart is called an embedded object. You can then resize or move it just as you would any graphic object. Start by choosing the chart type that is best suited for presenting your data. There are a wide variety of chart types, 2-D and 3-D formats, from which to choose.
Insert and Create a Chart
- Select the data you want to use to create a chart.
- Click the Insert tab.
- Use one of the following methods:
Basic Chart Types. Click a chart button (Column, Line, Pie, Bar, Area, Scatter, Other Charts) in the Charts group, and then click the chart type you want.
All Chart Types. Click the Charts Dialog Box Launcher, click a category in the left pane, click a chart, and then click OK.
- To change the chart type, click the Change Chart Type button on the Design tab under Chart Tools.