Turning Off Transcriptions
Transcribed voicemail messages are a key feature of Google Voice. But you may decide that you don't want transcribed messages emailed to you, that you prefer to hear recorded messages only. If that's the case, just follow these steps to turn off voicemail transcription:
- Navigate to the Google Voice site and log in (if necessary).
- Click the Settings link to open the Settings page.
- Click the SMS & Voicemail tab. This opens the page where you can turn off voicemail transcription, as shown in Figure 5.14.
Figure 5.14 Turning off voicemail transcription.
- In the Voicemail Transcript section, deselect the Transcribe Voicemails checkbox.
- Click the Save Changes button.
And that's it—Google Voice will no longer transcribe your voicemails. Of course, you can still listen to your recorded voicemail messages as usual.
If you change your mind and want those transcribed messages to start appearing in your Inbox again, you can enable voicemail transcripts at any time. Repeat steps 1–3, but in step 4, select the Transcribe Voicemails checkbox and then click Save Changes. You've turned voicemail transcription back on.