Step 5: Install a Certificate on the Client
In some cases you will have to connect through a custom-made MMC, but in this scenario you will retain your certificate within the browser.
- Go to the Windows XP computer.
- Open Internet Explorer and, in the address bar, type http://servername/certsrv (where servername is the actual host name of your server). A web page with the information you see in Figure 5 opens.
- Click the Request a certificate link.
- On the next screen click User Certificate.
- On the User Certificate – Identifying Information screen click Submit.
- Click Yes in the pop-up window(s) that appears.
- The browser should talk to the server and retrieve a certificate. Choose to install it now by clicking the Install This Certificate link.
- Click Yes in the pop-up window that appears to add the certificate to the store. You’ll be informed that the certificate has been installed.
Figure 5 Connecting to the server’s CA via the Web browser.