Changing the Desktop Background
You don't have to change the entire theme to personalize Windows. Windows 7 lets you change each element of the theme individually, starting with the desktop background.
When you want to select a new image for your desktop background, know that Windows 7 offers a wide selection of pictures you can use. You can also opt to have a plain-colored background, or choose any other picture on your PC.
All you have to do is follow these steps:
- Right-click anywhere on the desktop and click Personalize from the pop-up menu.
- When the Personalization window appears, click Desktop Background.
- This opens the Desktop Background window, shown in Figure 2. Click the Picture Location list and select what kind of background you want: Windows Desktop Backgrounds, Pictures Library, Top Rated Photos, or Solid Colors.
- Scroll through the list of options until you find the background you want. Select the background by clicking it; this automatically applies the background to your desktop.
- To determine how the picture fills your desktop, click the Picture Position list and select Fill, Fit, Stretch, Tile, or Center.
- Click Save Changes.
Figure 2 Changing the desktop background in Windows 7
By the way, you can apply any digital picture stored on your computer as a desktop background. Just click the Browse button in the Desktop Background window and browse for the folder that contains the picture you want; the pictures within that folder will then be displayed in the Desktop Background window.