- Secure Your Private Network
- Protect Your Hotspot Users
- To Cover Large or Busy Areas, Consider Creating a Wi-Fi Mesh Network
- Place the Hotspot Gateway in a Central Spot
- Use an Identifying Network Name (SSID)
- Discover the Hotspot-Specific Firmware Replacement: CoovaAP
- Possibly Use a General Firmware Replacement
- Look into Using the Sputnik Service
- Look into 802.1X Authentication and WPA/WPA2 Enterprise Encryption
- Consider ZoneCD if You Have an Old PC Lying Around
Protect Your Hotspot Users
On normal networks, such as your private one, you'd want the ability to share files among other users. However, on a hotspot you probably don't want to be offering access to your files and computer to strangers. Therefore, you should block user communication on your hotspot.
If you're buying a hotspot gateway, the user-to-user traffic is probably already blocked. However, if you are configuring your own gateway, such as with a firmware replacement, you need to make sure to enable the AP or layer-2 isolation feature.