- Trick #1: Improve Your Content
- Trick #2: Create a Clear Organization and Hierarchy
- Trick #3: Fine-Tune Your Keywords
- Trick #4: Tweak Your <META> Tags
- Trick #5: Solicit Inbound Links
- Trick #6: Submit Your Site
- Trick #7: Create a Sitemap
- Trick #8: Use Text Instead of Images
- Trick #9: Update Your Content Frequently
- Trick #10: Know Your Customer
Trick #8: Use Text Instead of Images
It's important to know that today's generation of search engines parse only text content; they can't figure out what a picture or video or Flash animation is about, unless you describe it in the text. So if you use graphic buttons or banners (instead of plain text) to convey important information, the search engines simply won't see it. You need to put every piece of important information somewhere in the text of the pageeven if it's duplicated in a banner or graphic.
So if you use images on your site, which you probably do, make sure that you use the <ALT> tag for each imageand assign meaningful keywords to the image via this tag. A searchbot will read the <ALT> tag text; it can't figure out what an image is without it.