- Types of Web-Based Apps
- Web-Based Applications on the Front Line
- Why Web? Reason Number One: Collaboration
- Why Web? Reason Number Two: Universal Access
- Why Web? Reason Number Three: Integration
- Why Web? Reason Number Four: Disaster Prevention and Recovery
- Choosing the Right Web-Based Applications for Your Needs
Why Web? Reason Number Two: Universal Access
Many organizations have a mixture of Windows versions or, increasingly, Windows and MacOS or Linux boxes that might be used for particular projects. Web-based applications, because they run in a web browser, enable true cross-platform operation without the problems of converting, uploading, and downloading data files.
In an increasing number of cases, web-based applications also support access through smartphones. For example, GoogleDocs' spreadsheet module now supports editing, sorting, and filtering of spreadsheets on leading smartphone platforms; Cashboard client management now supports time tracking on the iPhone; Basecamp project management is compatible with several third-party iPhone and mobile applications.