Project management is an evolving discipline. Historically, the discipline concentrated on itself—focusing on the tools, processes, and techniques for successfully executing projects. Now that these are well developed, the discipline must look outward, focusing on its environment. Executive management shoulders the responsibility to conceive, design, implement, and manage the organization’s overall objectives, culture, environment, and processes for all disciplines, including project management.
Focusing on these key areas will help you drive your organization’s success in projects and programs:
- Foundations—Establishing an understanding for sound project management practices
- Alignment—Ensuring that projects align with all the organization’s activities
- Management—Tracking, measuring, and improving project management as an organizational discipline
- Investment—Ensuring that the capital and resources invested in project activities yield valuable results
- Resource optimization—Using outsourcing and advanced technologies to improve resource optimization