- Install a New Windows Server 2008 Forest
- Install a New Windows Server 2008 Child Domain
- Install a New Windows Server 2008 Domain Tree
- Install an Additional Windows Server 2008 Domain Controller
- Perform a Staged Installation of a Read-Only Domain Controller
- Install AD DS from Restored Backup Media
- Remove a Domain Controller from a Domain
- Forcing the Removal of a Windows Server 2008 Domain Controller
- Performing Metadata Cleanup
- Rename a Domain Controller
Forcing the Removal of a Windows Server 2008 Domain Controller
Solution: In Windows Server 2008, you can forcefully remove a DC when it is started in Directory Services Restore Mode. Typically, you force the removal of a DC only if the DC has no connectivity with other DCs.
Because the DC cannot contact other DCs during the operation, the AD DS forest metadata is not automatically updated as it is when a DC is removed normally. Instead, you must manually update the forest metadata after you remove the DC.
To force the removal of a Windows Server 2008 DC, perform the following steps:
- Log on to the server using the Directory Services Restore Mode Administrator account.
- Click Start, click Run, type dcpromo /forceremoval, and press ENTER.
- On the Welcome to the Active Directory Domain Services Installation Wizard page, click Next.
- On the Force the Removal of Active Directory Domain Services page, click Next.
- On the Administrator Password page, type and confirm a password for the local Administrator account; then click Next.
- On the Summary page, click Next.
- Restart the server after the removal is complete.