Change My Regional Settings
Solution: To set the date formatting, set your regional settings for the site. Depending on the configuration of the site, you might be able to define in that site your own regional settings, which would change how the site is presented to you without affecting anyone else who is viewing the site.
Changing the regional settings lets you define the way you want dates and number formats shown to you, the default sort order used for you in the site when you are viewing lists, the calendar format you want to see, and the way you define your workweek days.
Figure 2.5 A list viewed using the Australian regional settings. Notice how the start and end time show the day before the month.
Figure 2.6 A list viewed using the American regional settings. Notice how the start and end time show the month before the day and how the times are different because of a different time zone setting.
Figure 2.6 shows the American settings.
To achieve this, click the Welcome [your name] link at the top of the page to open a drop-down menu and select My Settings, as shown in Figure 2.7.
Figure 2.7 Selecting your own settings.
Selecting this option opens a page showing your details as they are saved in the system. Click My Regional Settings, as shown in Figure 2.8.
Figure 2.8 Changing the regional settings.
Selecting this option opens the Regional Settings configuration screen (see Figure 2.9). In this screen you can choose to customize the regional settings for you by clearing the Always Follow Web Settings check box. This means that the content of the site will be displayed using different settings from the ones that are defined for the site by the site manager. If you select this option, the page will allow you to define the following settings:
- Locale: Sets the formats of dates, numbers, and sorting order.
- Time Zone: Sets your time zone so that times (for example, time for a meeting) will be displayed to you in your time zone.
- Set Your Calendar: Allows you to select a different calendar format (for example, the Jewish or Arabic calendars) to be displayed instead of the default one.
- Alternate Calendar: Allows you to select an alternative calendar format that will be displayed in addition to the default one.
- Define Your Work Week: Allows you to select your work week and working hours (which will change how calendars are displayed to you).
- Time Format: Allows you to select whether the time format should be 12-hour format (01:00 PM) or 24-hour format (13:00).
Figure 2.9 Changing settings on the Regional Settings screen.