Second Life—Getting Started
How do you get started in playing Second Life? Here are a few steps you can take. Have fun!
- Go to http://www.secondlife.com. On the site, you are asked for your Second Life name (mine is SOAndy). You also enter in some real facts about you, such as your email address.
- Create your avatar. What is an avatar? It is a character that represents you. Some people have one made that looks like them, and some people make them look very different.
- Fill in more real-life information in the next form. You can enter your credit card here to spend real money, as well. I did this to get started but you don’t have to enter it if you don’t feel comfortable.
- The next step is to download and install Second Life, and then save and run it.
- Sign in with your Second Life name and password.
- After you on in a metaverse, you see other avatars and an Orientation Island. I encourage you to go through orientation.
Here are some other useful tips for Second Life:
- Walk using your up and down arrow keys and turn using the right and left arrow keys. It is a bit awkward but you can get it after a while.
- There is help along the way, and make sure you practice flying, chatting, and trying on clothes.
- You can teleport to other locations, such as the SOA Island, just to explore.
- Just remember: Second Life does have a code of conduct. Treat it as a new country.
- Learn and observe the customs. It’s the Internet, so beware and be broad minded.
Have a great time checking out the metaverse!