- Locating and Inserting Clip Art
- Inserting a Picture
- Adding a Quick Style to a Picture
- Applying a Shape to a Picture
- Applying Picture Effects
- Applying a Border to a Picture
- Modifying Picture Brightness and Contrast
- Recoloring a Picture
- Modifying Picture Size
- Cropping and Rotating a Picture
- Creating WordArt Text
- Formatting WordArt Text
- Modifying WordArt Text Position
- Creating SmartArt Graphics
- Formatting a SmartArt Graphic
- Modifying a SmartArt Graphic
- Creating an Organization Chart
- Modifying an Organization Chart
- Inserting and Creating a Chart
- Changing a Chart Type
- Changing a Chart Layout Style
- Changing Chart Titles
- Changing Chart Labels
- Editing Chart Data
- Sharing Information Between Programs
- Linking and Embedding Objects
- Flagging Documents for Follow Up
Changing Chart Labels
A legend is a set of text labels that helps the reader connect the colors and patterns in a chart with the data they represent. Legend text is derived from the data series plotted within a chart. You can rename an item within a legend by changing the text in the data series. If the legend chart location doesn’t work with the chart type, you can reposition the legend at the right, left, top or bottom of the chart or overlay the legend on top of the chart on the right or left side. Data labels show data values in the chart to make it easier for the reader to see, while a Data table shows the data values in an associated table next to the chart. If you want a customized look, you can set individual options using the Format dialog box.
Change the Chart Legend, Labels, and Other Options
Select the chart you want to modify.
- Click the Chart Options panel to expand it.
- Click any of the following buttons to show axis: Primary Vertical Axis, Primary Horizontal Axis, Depth Axis, Secondary Vertical Axis, and Secondary Horizontal Axis.
- Click any of the buttons for the major and minor gridlines.
Click Labels drop-down, and then click one of the following:
- None to hide the labels on the chart elements.
- Value to display labels on the vertical axis chart elements.
- Category Name to display labels on the horizontal axis chart elements.
Click Legend drop-down, and then click one of the following: None, Bottom, Top Right, Top, Right, and Left.