To start developing ASP.NET Ajax applications using Visual Studio 2005, you first need to install and configure ASP.NET Ajax.
Setting Up Your Environment
Before you install ASP.NET Ajax in your system, make sure your system meets the minimum installation requirements as outlined in this section. The installation prerequisites are as follows:
- A Windows OS that can host the Microsoft .NET framework (Windows 2000, 2003, XP, Vista, and so on)
- Microsoft .NET framework 2.0 or Version 3.0
- Internet Explorer 5.01 or higher
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 or Visual Web Developer Express Edition (optional)
Installing ASP.NET Ajax
The following are the steps for installing ASP.NET Ajax in your system:
- Log in with the administrator's privileges and initiate the installation procedure.
Download the ASP.NET AJAX 1.0 from the ASP.NET Ajax downloads website:
- Execute the ASPAJAXExtSetup.msi installation package to install ASP.NET Ajax in your system by double-clicking the .msi file and following the steps shown in Figures 1.1 through 1.5.
Figure 1.1 Installation Wizard—Step 1
Figure 1.2 Installation Wizard—Step 2
Figure 1.3 Installation Wizard—Step 3
Figure 1.4 Installation Wizard—Step 4
Figure 1.5 Installation Wizard—Step 5
Alternatively, you can execute the ASPAJAXExtSetup.msi package from the command line:
msiexec /i ASPAJAXExtSetup.msi [/q] [/log <log file name>] [INSTALLDIR =<installation path>]
You are done! By default, the ASP.NET Ajax assembly (System.Web.Extensions.dll) is installed in the following path:
drive:\..\Program Files\Microsoft ASP.NET\ASP.NET 2.0 AJAX Extensions\v1.0.nnnn.
The Microsoft ASP.NET Ajax is now installed in your system and ready to use.