What are the basic goals of ASP.NET Ajax?
What are the constituent technologies in Ajax?
Name some of the server controls that are included as part of the ASP.NET Ajax framework.
What are the minimum requirements/prerequisites for installing and running ASP.NET Ajax applications?
Name some popular ASP.NET Ajax frameworks.
The basic goals of ASP.NET Ajax are as follows:
- Reduced web server hits and network load
- Rich and interactive user interface
- Platform and architecture neutrality
- Support for both synchronous and asynchronous communication
- Provide a server- and client-side framework for seamless usage of Ajax in applications
The constituent technologies that make up Ajax are as follows:
- XMLHttpRequest object
ASP.NET Ajax has come up with several server controls. These are the following:
These controls are responsible for faster updates, better response times, and improved performance and efficiency.
To install and run ASP.NET Ajax applications, you should have all of the following in your system:
- A Windows OS that can host the Microsoft .NET framework (Windows 2000, 2003, XP, Vista, and so on)
- Microsoft .NET framework 2.0 or Version 3.0
- Internet Explorer 5.01 or higher
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 or Visual Web Developer Express Edition (optional)
Some of the most popular ASP.NET Ajax frameworks include the following:
- Michael Schwarz's Ajax.NET
- Jason Diamond's Anthem
- Microsoft's Atlas
- ASP.NET Ajax from Microsoft