- 17 New Look and Functionality
- 18 Parental Controls
- 19 Windows Defender and Windows Firewall
- 20 Network and Sharing Center
- 21 Instant Search and Internet Explorer 7
- 22 Photo Gallery
- 23 Windows Aero and Windows Flip
- 24 Windows Mobility Center and Tablet PC Support
- 25 Windows Meeting Space
- 26 Windows SideShow
- 27 Windows Automatic Backup
- 28 Windows Complete PC Backup and Restore
- 29 Windows Media Center
- 30 Windows DVD Maker
- 31 Games
- 32 Windows Fax and Scan
- 33 Remote Desktop Connection
- 34 Shadow Copy
- 35 Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption
- 36 Language Packs
22 Photo Gallery
Unlike earlier versions of Windows, Vista includes photo and video organization and editing software, called Windows Photo Gallery. This is particularly handy for families with digital cameras and camcorders. Although it might not include all the bells and whistles third-party software packages might offer, it can help you organize and show off those digital photos and videos you probably have scattered about your hard drive.
Figure 3.22 and the following bullets give you a look into the main functions of Windows Photo Gallery.
Figure 3.22 Example of Windows Photo Gallery.
- Click here to edit and enhance the selected photo.
- Click here to print selected photos.
- Viewing and organizing: You can effortlessly browse through your photos and videos in a Thumbnails view, navigating by assigned tags and ratings, date taken, folders, or simply all available media. Hovering over a photo or video will display a larger image for better viewing. In addition, double-clicking on them brings them into the dedicated viewer and is where you can assign the tags and ratings. You can also organize the photos into separate folders by right-clicking on the folders and creating subfolders.
- Fix: Selecting a photo and clicking the Fix button allows you to fine-tune the image by adjusting exposure and color, cropping, and removing red eye. In addition, an auto adjust feature can make automated enhancements.
- Print: Windows Photo Gallery doesn't just offer simple photo printing; it can automatically adjust for printing various sizes, including 4x6, 5x7, 8x10, and wallets. Simply choose a photo (or multiple photos), select the Print menu, and click Print to get started.
- Make CD and DVD movies: Windows Photo Gallery makes it easy to export photos and videos to Windows Movie and DVD makers. This allows you to create movies and presentations of images and clips, which make incredible keepsakes and gifts. You can either select particular media and choose Data-disc or Video DVD from the Burn menu, or click the Make a Movie button.