- Finding Information Using Spotlight
- Finding Information in the Spotlight Window
- Filtering Spotlight Results
- Grouping and Sorting Spotlight Results
- Working with Spotlight Results
- Setting Spotlight Preferences
- Searching for Files Using the Find Window
- Searching for Hard to Find Information
- Working with Find Window Results
- Creating and Using Smart Folders
- Getting Help While You Work
- Getting Help Using Spotlight
Working with Find Window Results
After you perform a search with the Find window, you can perform a variety of file management operations directly with the Find window results, which are similar to the ones you can perform in the Finder. For example, you can get file information, and move, copy, rename, or delete a file directly in the search results window. In addition, you can display the location of a file in the search results window, and then open its folder location or open the file.
Work with Find Window Results
After you perform a search with the Find window, you can use the following options to work with the results:
- Find the location of a file. Click a file to display the location in the Path bar at bottom of the window.
- Open the location of a file. Click the File menu, and then click Open Enclosed Folder.
- Open a file. Double-click the file icon.
- Move or delete a file. Drag the file to a new location or the Trash.
- Rename a file. Click its name, select the text, and then type a new name.
- Copy a file. Use the Copy and Paste commands on the Edit menu.
- Get file information. Click the File menu, and then click Get Info. Add criteria to Spotlight Comments for use in Spotlight searches.
- Sort the result by category. Click the column header.
- Start a new search. Change the text in the Search field, or click the Close (x) button in the Search field and type a new search.
- Close the search. Click the Close button or press +W.