PRODUCT SUPPORT ANNOUNCEMENT
See the latest about COVID-19 shipping availability and video/Web Edition load errors. Learn more.
This eBook includes the following formats, accessible from your Account page after purchase:
EPUB The open industry format known for its reflowable content and usability on supported mobile devices.
MOBI The eBook format compatible with the Amazon Kindle and Amazon Kindle applications.
PDF The popular standard, used most often with the free Adobe® Reader® software.
This eBook requires no passwords or activation to read. We customize your eBook by discreetly watermarking it with your name, making it uniquely yours.
Also available in other formats.
Register your product to gain access to bonus material or receive a coupon.
Use window functions to write simpler, better, more efficient T-SQL queries
Most T-SQL developers recognize the value of window functions for data analysis calculations. But they can do far more, and recent optimizations make them even more powerful. In T-SQL Window Functions, renowned T-SQL expert Itzik Ben-Gan introduces breakthrough techniques for using them to handle many common T-SQL querying tasks with unprecedented elegance and power. Using extensive code examples, he guides you through window aggregate, ranking, distribution, offset, and ordered set functions. You’ll find a detailed section on optimization, plus an extensive collection of business solutions — including novel techniques available in no other book.
Microsoft MVP Itzik Ben-Gan shows how to:
• Use window functions to improve queries you previously built with predicates
• Master essential SQL windowing concepts, and efficiently design window functions
• Effectively utilize partitioning, ordering, and framing
• Gain practical in-depth insight into window aggregate, ranking, offset, and statistical functions
• Understand how the SQL standard supports ordered set functions, and find working solutions for functions not yet available in the language
• Preview advanced Row Pattern Recognition (RPR) data analysis techniques
• Optimize window functions in SQL Server and Azure SQL Database, making the most of indexing, parallelism, and more
• Discover a full library of window function solutions for common business problems
About This Book
• For developers, DBAs, data analysts, data scientists, BI professionals, and power users familiar with T-SQL queries
• Addresses any edition of the SQL Server 2019 database engine or later, as well as Azure SQL Database
Get all code samples at:
Follow the instructions to download this book's companion files.
Chapter 01: SQL Windowing
Chapter 02: A Detailed Look at Window Functions
Chapter 03: Ordered Set Functions
Chapter 04: Row Pattern Recognition in SQL
Chapter 05: Optimization of Window Functions
Chapter 06: T-SQL Solutions using Window Functions