Now through Nov. 30, save 40-55% on books & eBooks. Use code BOOKSGIVING during checkout. Shop now.
Use window functions to write simpler, better, more efficient T-SQL queries
Most T-SQL developers recognize the value of window functions for data analysis calculations. But they can do far more, and recent optimizations make them even more powerful. In T-SQL Window Functions, renowned T-SQL expert Itzik Ben-Gan introduces breakthrough techniques for using them to handle many common T-SQL querying tasks with unprecedented elegance and power. Using extensive code examples, he guides you through window aggregate, ranking, distribution, offset, and ordered set functions. You’ll find a detailed section on optimization, plus an extensive collection of business solutions — including novel techniques available in no other book.
Microsoft MVP Itzik Ben-Gan shows how to:
• Use window functions to improve queries you previously built with predicates
• Master essential SQL windowing concepts, and efficiently design window functions
• Effectively utilize partitioning, ordering, and framing
• Gain practical in-depth insight into window aggregate, ranking, offset, and statistical functions
• Understand how the SQL standard supports ordered set functions, and find working solutions for functions not yet available in the language
• Preview advanced Row Pattern Recognition (RPR) data analysis techniques
• Optimize window functions in SQL Server and Azure SQL Database, making the most of indexing, parallelism, and more
• Discover a full library of window function solutions for common business problems
About This Book
• For developers, DBAs, data analysts, data scientists, BI professionals, and power users familiar with T-SQL queries
• Addresses any edition of the SQL Server 2019 database engine or later, as well as Azure SQL Database
Get all code samples at:
Follow the instructions to download this book's companion files.