Now through Dec. 7, save 40-55% on books & eBooks. Use code BOOKSGIVING during checkout. Shop now.
If you're new to the world of Windows XP and are daunted by the thought of having to figure it all out on your own, Sams Teach Yourself Windows XP All in One can help. This all-inclusive reference book will teach you how to not only use your Windows XP system, but also how to utilize digital media and Internet features. Learn how to set up a home network, as well as how to upgrade, repair and protect your PC from viruses, spam and spyware. Updated to include information relating to the Windows XP Server Pack 2, Sams Teach Yourself Windows XP All in One will help you get the most you can out of your Windows XP-based computer.
I. UNDERSTANDING COMPUTER FUNDAMENTALS.
1. Beyond the On Switch . . .
2. Keeping Windows Happy.
3. More About PC Health Care.
II. GETTING STARTED WITH WINDOWS.
4. Diving into Windows.
5. Managing the Windows Interface.
6. Working with My Computer and Windows Explorer.
7. Customizing and Improving Your Desktop.
8. Calling for Help.
III. WORKING WITH FILES AND FOLDERS.
9. Understanding File Management Essentials.
10. Finding Information.
IV. MAKING THINGS HAPPEN WITH YOUR PC.
11. It's All About the Software.
12. Going Multimedia with Media Player.
13. Recording Audio.
14. Going Digital with Your Scanner or Camera and Windows XP.
15. Making Movies with Windows Movie Maker.
16. Gaming with Windows XP.
17. Sharing Your PC.
V. INTERFACING WINDOWS AND HARDWARE.
18. Exploring Your Hardware Interface.
19. Understanding Printing and Fonts.
20. Giving Windows a Tune-Up.
VI. LEARNING HOW TO NETWORK COMPUTERS.
21. Understanding the Nature of Networks.
22. Getting Data from Here to There: How Computers Share Data.
23. Mastering Computer and Network Concepts.
24. Networking for Simple Computer Setups.
25. Going Wireless.
26. Personal Security and Privacy on a Network.
VII. GOING ONLINE WITH THE INTERNET.
27. Exploring the Internet's Technology.
28. Connecting to the Internet.
29. Browsing Basics.
VIII. COMMUNICATING WITH THE WORLD.
30. Using Email.
31. Chatting and Instant Messaging.
32. Participating in Newsgroups, Web Message Boards, and Blogs.
IX. GETTING THE MOST OUT OF THE INTERNET.
33. Searching for Information.
34. Downloading Programs and Files.
35. Finding People.
36. Protecting Your Family's Online Experience.
37. Buying and Selling on the Internet.
X. DIAGNOSING PROBLEMS AND PLANNING UPGRADES.
38. Deciding to Upgrade.
39. Understanding System Components.
XI. UPGRADING YOUR PC AND ITS COMPONENTS.
40. Upgrading Your PC Motherboard, BIOS, CPU, and Memory.
41. Upgrading Your PC's Case and Power Supply.
42. Replacing, Upgrading, or Adding a Drive.
43. Adding Adapters.
44. Upgrading Your Keyboard, Mouse, and Other Input Devices.
45. Upgrading Your Monitor.
46. Selecting and Installing a Printer.
47. Purchasing PC Components on the Internet.