NEW TITLE RELEASE ANNOUNCEMENT
See the latest about a temporary release delay on new titles. Learn more.
A best-seller that once showed you how to reign in a panther can now show you how to tame a Tiger. Mac OS X Tiger Unleashed is the most comprehensive guide to unlocking the full power of Mac OS X Tiger that you can find. Written by Unix/BSD experts and Mac users, John Ray and William C. Ray, you will go inside the Mac OS X Tiger operating system and the underlying BSD environment. In-depth background coverage and useful hands-on lessons will help you understand the changes with the new version and master the new features. Lessons include:
I. USING MAC OS X.
1. Managing the Tiger Workspace.
2. Useful Tiger Applications and Utilities.
3. Internet Applications.
4. Controlling Applications with Automator and AppleScript.
II. HARDWARE SETUP AND CONFIGURATION.
5. Configuring Tiger Hardware Support and Preferences.
6. Printer, Fax, and Font Management.
III. ADVANCED USER AND NETWORK SETTINGS.
7. Configuring Network Connectivity.
8. Customizing User and System Settings.
IV. INTRODUCTION TO BSD ON TIGER.
9. Accessing the BSD Subsystem.
10. Common Unix Shell Commands: File, Directory, and Disk Operations.
11. Using File Permissions and Access Control Lists.
12. Process Management.
13. Using Common Command-Line Applications and Application Suites.
14. Command-Line Software Installation and Troubleshooting.
V. ADVANCED BSD CONCEPTS.
15. Shell Configuration and Programming (Shell Scripting).
16. Managing System Services and Configuration.
17. Using X Window System Applications.
18. Using the Perl and Python Scripting Languages.
VI. SERVER AND NETWORK ADMINISTRATION.
19. Serving and Connecting to Databases.
20. Configuring Advanced Multiuser/Multisystem Cooperation Features.
21. Accessing and Controlling Tiger Remotely.
22. Creating an FTP Server.
23. Creating a Web Server.
24. Developing Web Applications.
25. Darwin Streaming Server and QuickTime Broadcaster.
26. Creating a Mail Server.
27. Working with Windows-Based Systems.
VII. SYSTEM AND SERVER HEALTH.
28. Implementing Server Security and Advanced Network Configuration.
29. Maintaining a Healthy System.
Note: You will need the Free Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the "Table of Contents" and "Sample Pages", if you do not already have Acrobat installed on your machine, click the "Get Acrobat Reader" button to download and install.