NEW TITLE RELEASE ANNOUNCEMENT
See the latest about a temporary release delay on new titles. Learn more.
Is It Safe?
PROTECTING YOUR COMPUTER, YOUR BUSINESS, AND YOURSELF ONLINE
IDENTITY THEFT. DATA THEFT. INTERNET FRAUD. ONLINE
SURVEILLANCE. EMAIL SCAMS.
Hacks, attacks, and viruses. The Internet is a dangerous place. In years past, you could protect your computer from malicious activity by installing an antivirus program and activating a firewall utility. Unfortunately, that’s no longer good enough; the Internet has become a much darker place, plagued not only by rogue software but also by dangerous criminals and shadowy government agencies. Is It Safe? addresses the new generation of security threat. It presents information about each type of threat and then discusses ways to minimize and recover from those threats. Is It Safe? differs from other security books by focusing more on the social aspects of online security than purely the technical aspects. Yes, this book still covers topics such as antivirus programs and spam blockers, but it recognizes that today’s online security issues are more behavioral in nature–phishing schemes, email scams, and the like.
Are you being scammed? Learn how to spot the newest and most insidious computer security threats–fraudulent retailers, eBay scammers, online con artists, and the like.
Is your identity safe? Avoid being one of the nine million Americans each year who have their identities stolen. Today’s real Internet threats aren’t viruses and spam. Today’s real threat are thieves who steal your identity, rack up thousands on your credit card, open businesses under your name, commit crimes, and forever damage your reputation!
Is Big Brother watching? Get the scoop on online tracking and surveillance. We examine just who might be tracking your online activities and why.
Is your employer watching you? How to tell when you’re being monitored; and how to determine what is acceptable and what isn’t.
Michael Miller has written more than 80 nonfiction books over the past two decades. His best-selling books include Que’s YouTube 4 You, Googlepedia: The Ultimate Google Resource, iPodpedia: The Ultimate iPod and iTunes Resource, and Absolute Beginner’s Guide to Computer Basics. He has established a reputation for clearly explaining technical topics to nontechnical readers and for offering useful real-world advice about complicated topics.
I. Protecting Against Identity Theft
1. Identity Theft: How Big a Problem?
2. How to Keep Your Personal Information Personal
3. Repairing a Stolen Identity
II. Protecting Against Data Theft
4. Data Theft: How Big a Problem?
5. Protecting Corporate Data
6. Recovering from Data Theft
III. Protecting Against Online Fraud
7. Online Fraud: How Big a Problem?
8. How Not to Be a Victim of Online Fraud
9. Fraud on the Corporate Level: Online Advertising Click Fraud
IV. Protecting Against Email Spam and Scams
10. Email spam and Scams: How Big a Problem?
11. Reducing Email Spam
12. Defending Against Phishing Emails
13. Avoiding Email Scams
V. Protecting Against Online Surveillance
14. Online Surveillance: How Big a Problem?
15. Dealing with Surveillance at Work
16. Big Brother is Watching You
17. Covering Your Tracks -- Online and Off
18. Avoiding Online Stalkers
19: Engaging in Your Own Surveillance: Tracking Your Children's Online Activity
VI. Protecting Against Computer Viruses and Spyware
20. Computers Viruses and Spyware: How Big a Problem?
21. Defending Against Computer Viruses
22. Avoiding Spyware
VII. Protecting Against Computer Hacks and Attacks
23. Computer Attacks: How Big a Problem?
24. Defending Your Personal Computer from Attack
25. Defending Your Network from Attack
26. Defending Your Website from Attack