This eBook includes the following formats, accessible from your Account page after purchase:
EPUB The open industry format known for its reflowable content and usability on supported mobile devices.
PDF The popular standard, used most often with the free Adobe® Reader® software.
This eBook requires no passwords or activation to read. We customize your eBook by discreetly watermarking it with your name, making it uniquely yours.
User Interface Design for Mere Mortals takes the mystery out of designing effective interfaces for both desktop and web applications. It is recommended reading for anyone who wants to provide users of their software with interfaces that are intuitive and easy-to-use. The key to any successful application lies in providing an interface users not only enjoy interacting with but which also saves time, eliminates frustration, and gets the job done with a minimum of effort. Readers will discover the secrets of good interface design by learning how users behave and the expectations that users have of different types of interfaces.
Anyone who reads User Interface Design for Mere Mortals will benefit from
• Gaining an appreciation of the differences in the “look and feel” of interfaces for a variety of systems and platforms
• Learning how to go about designing and creating the most appropriate interface for the application or website being developed
• Becoming familiar with all the different components that make up an interface and the important role that each of those components plays in communicating with users
• Understanding the business benefits that flow from good interface design such as significantly reduced support costs
• Gaining invaluable insights into how users behave, including the seven stages of human interaction with computers
• Working through case study based, in-depth analysis of each of the stages involved in designing a user interface
• Acquiring practical knowledge about the similarities and differences between designing websites and traditional desktop applications
• Learning how to define, conduct, and analyze usability testing
Through the use of the proven For Mere Mortals format, User Interface Design for Mere Mortals succeeds in parting the veil of mystery surrounding effective user interface design. Whatever your background, the For Mere Mortals format makes the information easily accessible and usable.
CHAPTER 1 Brief Histories
CHAPTER 2 Concepts and Issues
CHAPTER 3 Making the Business Case
CHAPTER 4 Good Design
CHAPTER 5 How User Behave
CHAPTER 6 Analyzing Your Users
CHAPTER 7 Designing a User Interface
CHAPTER 8 Designing a Web Site
CHAPTER 9 Usability
APPENDIX A Answers to Review Questions
APPENDIX B Recommended Reading
About the Author xix
CHAPTER 1 Brief Histories 1
CHAPTER 2 Concepts and Issues 17
CHAPTER 3 Making the Business Case 59
CHAPTER 4 Good Design 85
CHAPTER 5 How User Behave 113
CHAPTER 6 Analyzing Your Users 135
CHAPER 7 Designing a User Interface 163
CHAPTER 8 Designing a Web Site 197
CHAPTER 9 Usability 225
APPENDIX A Answers to Review Questions 253
APPENDIX B Recommended Reading 265