- Copyright 2020
- Dimensions: 234X156
- Edition: 1st
- ISBN-10: 1-292-27651-7
- ISBN-13: 978-1-292-27651-9
More than ever, we need our universities to be engines of change and social justice.
Universities can play a major role in making this complex and changing world a better place, helping economies and societies to adapt and respond to the grand challenges we face, from tackling climate change to harnessing artificial intelligence.
This is their mission and their challenge. If universities are to remain true to their higher purpose, they must also find a higher gear.
Ed Byrne and Charles Clarke show how transforming universities can change the world.
Table of Contents
- 1 Changing universities in changing times
- 2 Historical perspectives and international comparisons
- 3 Universities and work
- 4 Research: understanding and transforming the world
- 5 The local economic and social impact of universities
- 6 Who benefits from a university education?
- 7 Education is for life
- 8 Who pays for it all?
- 9 University governance, leadership and the state
- 10 Ten questions about the future of universities
- 11 Conclusion