This eBook includes the following formats, accessible from your Account page after purchase:
EPUB The open industry format known for its reflowable content and usability on supported mobile devices.
MOBI The eBook format compatible with the Amazon Kindle and Amazon Kindle applications.
PDF The popular standard, used most often with the free Adobe® Reader® software.
This eBook requires no passwords or activation to read. We customize your eBook by discreetly watermarking it with your name, making it uniquely yours.
Also available in other formats.
Register your product to gain access to bonus material or receive a coupon.
The design marketplace has never been more competitive, or demanded more from emerging talent. To succeed, you must navigate the transition from learner to professional with purpose and precision. In Stand Out: Building Your Design Portfolio, Denise Anderson offers a hands-on, three-step, full-color action plan for establishing your unique brand, crafting a killer portfolio, tailoring and delivering your message, getting your perfect design job, and excelling once you're hired.
In this superbly organized and beautifully designed book, Anderson distills 20+ years of experience as a graphic designer, entrepreneur, instructor, and mentor, offering you powerful insights and easy-to-use tools for successfully launching your career. Whether you're in graphic design, advertising design, interactive or web design, fashion, or any other design field, Anderson will help you identify what makes you unique, and use it powerfully differentiate yourself from everyone else. Stand Out's step-by-step approach, hands-on work exercises, and short, easy-to-absorb chapters guide you through:
Stand Out brings together all the easy-to-use forms, checklists, and tools you'll need… multiple examples of great student and young professional portfolio work to show you how it's done… dozens of great tips and tricks… "in the trenches" insights from recent graduates… all you need to get where you want to go!
Section I. Developing a Personal Brand
1. What Is Your Brand?
2. The Brand Touch Points
3. Designing a Brand Identity
4. Creating an Online Presence
5. Self-Promoting Your Brand
6. Student Case Studies + Examples
Section II. Building a Portfolio of Work
7. Portfolio Trends and Strategies
8. What Is Your Dream Job? Part I
9. Choosing a Mentor and Advisory Board
10. Selecting Work for Your Portfolio
11. Creating a Presentation of Work
12. Choosing a Portfolio Type
13. Photographing Your Work
14. Portfolio Production
15. Protecting Your Work
16. Student Case Studies + Examples
Section III. Finding a Job
17. Types of Design Jobs and Companies
18. What Is Your Dream Job?
19. Writing a Resume and Cover Letter
20. Learning How to Interview
21. Learning How to Present Your Work
22. My Job Search Plan
23. The Interview
24. Accepting a Position
25. What To Expect At Your First Job
26. Preparing for the Next Job
27. Student Case Studies + Examples