Now through Dec. 7, save 40-55% on books & eBooks. Use code BOOKSGIVING during checkout. Shop now.
This eBook includes the following formats, accessible from your Account page after purchase:
EPUB The open industry format known for its reflowable content and usability on supported mobile devices.
PDF The popular standard, used most often with the free Adobe® Reader® software.
This eBook requires no passwords or activation to read. We customize your eBook by discreetly watermarking it with your name, making it uniquely yours.
Also available in other formats.
Register your product to gain access to bonus material or receive a coupon.
The Photoshop Workbook: Professional Retouching and Compositing Tips, Tricks, and Techniques reveals the creative skills that photographer and retoucher Glyn Dewis uses for his global clients. In this guide you will learn not only his step-by-step Photoshop techniques, but how and when to apply them so that you, too, can take your images to a whole new level. Glyn starts by covering the individual Photoshop skills that are the essential building blocks of his process:
• Mastering selections and cutouts with the Pen tool and other important tools
• Dodging and burning, adding textures, transforming a location, and using the “power of gray” for composites
• Applying lighting effects such as spotlights, beams, realistic shadows, reflections, and street lighting to images
• Creating special effects, including snow and debris, and turning day into night using a nondestructive workflow
It’s one thing to learn the techniques, but to master them you need to understand when to apply them and in what order. In the second part of the book, Glyn brings everything together with his real-world projects. He covers six complete, start-to-finish projects—including all the images for you to download and follow along—that show you how to apply the techniques to a variety of scenarios, including character portraits, themed composites, and a landscape.
PART I: TECHNIQUES
Ch 1: Selections/Cut Outs
- Blend If (Extracting Liquid and Other Tricky Elements)
- Mastering the Pen Tool
- Perfect Results with Refine Edge
- Cut Out with the Overlay Blend Mode
- Creative Uses of Brushes and Layer Masks
- Tricks with Layer Styles (Inner Shadow, etc.)
- Using Color Range
Ch 2: The Power of Grey
- Adding Textures
- How to Transform a Location
- Non Destructive Dodging and Burning
- Lens Flare
- Faking Detail
- Creating Dents and Making Abs
Ch 3: Lighting Effects
- Simple Light Source
- Neverending Lighting Rig
- Gradient to Mimic Street Lighting, etc.
- Light Beams / Sun Rays
- Realistic Shadows (From the Sun; Under Feet/Objects)
Ch 4: Blend Mode Techniques
- Match Color (in Composites)
- Adding Colored Highlights (Blend If)
- Light Glow / Reflection
Ch 5: Special Effects
- Thingies (i.e. Dust in Light Source for Realism)
- Cartoon / Painterly Look
- Wet Look
PART II: PROJECTS
Ch 6: Character Portrait (Editor Style)
Ch 7: Composite on Grey (Tough Guy Style)
Ch 8: Full Composite (Giraffe)
Ch 9: Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe
Ch 10: Flowers