- For everyone who wants to learn about network security and build a career in this crucial, fast-growing profession
- Updated, easy-to-understand introductions to hackers, attacks, security tools/technologies, networking equipment, wireless security, and more
- Authoritative, step-by-step, best-practice guidance on preparing for and reacting to security incidents
- Copyright 2012
- Dimensions: 7-3/8" x 9-1/8"
- Pages: 448
- Edition: 2nd
- ISBN-10: 1-58720-410-X
- ISBN-13: 978-1-58720-410-4
Network Security first-step
Tom Thomas and Donald Stoddard
Your first step into the world of network security
- No security experience required
- Includes clear and easily understood explanations
- Makes learning easy
Your first step to network security begins here!
- Learn how hacker attacks work, from start to finish
- Choose the right security solution for each type of risk
- Create clear and enforceable security policies, and keep them up to date
- Establish reliable processes for responding to security advisories
- Use encryption effectively, and recognize its limitations
- Secure your network with firewalls, routers, and other devices
- Prevent attacks aimed at wireless networks
No security experience required!
Computer networks are indispensible, but they also are not secure. With the proliferation of security threats, many people and companies are looking for ways to increase the security of their networks and data. Before you can effectively implement security technologies and techniques, you need to make sense of this complex and quickly evolving world of hackers and malware, as well as the tools to combat them.
Network Security First-Step, Second Edition explains the basics of network security in easy-to-grasp language that all of us can understand. This book takes you on a guided tour of the core technologies that make up and control network security. Whether you are looking to take your first step into a career in network security or simply are interested in gaining knowledge of the technology, this book is for you!
Online Sample Chapter
Network Security First-Step: Firewalls
Download the sample pages (includes Chapter 7 and Index)
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 There Be Hackers Here!
- Chapter 2 Security Policies
Chapter 3 Processes and Procedures
Chapter 4 Network Security Standards and Guidelines
- Chapter 5 Overview of Security Technologies
- Chapter 6 Security Protocols
Chapter 7 Firewalls
- Chapter 8 Router Security
- Chapter 9 IPsec Virtual Private Networks (VPNs)
Chapter 10 Wireless Security
Chapter 11 Intrusion Detection and Honeypots
Chapter 12 Tools of the Trade
Appendix A Answers to Review Questions