Gradual introduction to object-oriented programming
- Predefined classes are presented early in the book, so students do not start to create classes until the very end.
- Objects are given familiar names, rather than programming terminology, to keep them in context.
- Real data is used and examples are streamlined so students are not distracted from the programming techniques illustrated.
The most current and powerful capabilities of Visual Basic
- Upgraded - Visual Basic version has been upgraded from Visual Basic 2015 to Visual Basic 2017.
- New - VB2017 IntelliSense features are used.
- New - VB2017 Run to Click debugging feature is explained and used in a walkthrough.
- New - Instructions for carrying out thirteen important Visual Basic operations are presented on the inside back cover.
- Updated - 145 Screen captures have been replaced with up-to-date versions.Output for most applied exercises and programming projects are shown in screen captures to helpclarify the intent of the exercise.
- Revised - Databases used in 35 exercises have been updated or expanded.
Extensive pedagogy includes examples, exercises, case studies and projects
- Over 130 different types of examples (with over 51 covering business-related applications) and 1,300 exercises are included.
- Carefully designed exercises appear at the end of each section. Exercises require students to trace programs, find errors and write programs. The exercises both reinforce the understanding of the key ideas of the section and challenge the student to explore applications.
- Practice problems with solutions are specifically chosen to focus on potential trouble spots and provide a warm-up to the exercises by appearing just before the exercise set.
- The large number and range of difficulty of the programming projects provide the flexibility to adapt the course to the interests and abilities of the students.
- The programming projects not only reflect the variety of ways that computers are used in the business community, but also present some games and general-interest topics.
- Some programming projects in later chapters can be assigned as end-of-the-semester projects.
- Each of the three case studies focuses on an important programming application. The problems are analyzed and the programs are developed with top-down charts and pseudocode. The programs can be downloaded from the companion website.
Also available with MyLab Programming
MyLab™ is the teaching and learning platform that empowers you to reach every student. By combining trusted author content with digital tools and a flexible platform, MyLab personalizes the learning experience and improves results for each student.With MyLab Programming, students work through hundreds of short, auto-graded coding exercises and receive immediate and helpful feedback based on their work. Learn more about MyLab Programming.
Reach every student with MyLab
- Teach your course your way: Your course is unique. So whether you’d like to build your own assignments, teach multiple sections, or set prerequisites, MyLab gives you the flexibility to easily create your course to fit your needs.
- Expanded - The Exercise Editor allows you to create new programming exercises. In addition to assigning the hundreds of programming exercises already available, you can create and assign programming exercises to customize your course.
- New - Plagiarism Detection Tool alerts instructors of potential plagiarism issues by checking:
- Students’ average submission rate.
- Students’ average number of attempts until correct.
- Empower each learner: Each student learns at a different pace. Personalized learning pinpoints the precise areas where each student needs practice, giving all students the support they need–when and where they need it–to be successful.
- The error-specific messages include both the feedback from the compiler and plain English interpretations of likely causes for the student’s incorrect answer. Feedback for many exercises includes test case tables that show a student’s output against expected output.
- Deliver trusted content: You deserve teaching materials that meet your own high standards for your course. That’s why we partner with highly respected authors to develop interactive content and course-specific resources that you can trust–and that keep your students engaged.
- Hundreds of short, auto-graded coding exercises are mapped to Pearson’s Introduction to Programming textbooks by industry-leading authors. The exercises help students master programming fundamentals (syntax, flow of control), allowing instructors to focus on higher-level concepts (problem solving).
- Updated - 30 VideoNotes provide step-by-step video tutorials specifically designed to enhance the programming concepts so students can view the entire problem-solving process outside of the classroom.
- Improve student results: When you teach with MyLab, student performance often improves. That’s why instructors have chosen MyLab for over 15 years, touching the lives of over 50 million students.
Check out the preface for a complete list of features and what's new in this edition.
- Copyright 2020
- Edition: 11th
- ISBN-10: 0-13-541604-3
- ISBN-13: 978-0-13-541604-4
For courses in Visual Basic Programming.
A Current and Comprehensive Introduction to Visual Basic Programming
Schneider’s Introduction to Programming Using Visual Basic has been consistently praised in the industry since 1991 and is a favorite of instructors and students. The 11th Edition is updated for Visual Basic 2017, providing an ideal tool for students learning their first programming language. The text keeps pace with modern programming methodology while incorporating current content and good programming practices.
Schneider emphasizes problem solving by discussing problem-solving techniques early and using them throughout the book. He also ensures each chapter is rich yet concise by developing chapters around crucial subjects rather than covering too many topics superficially. The new edition provides a broad range of real-world examples, section-ending exercises, case studies, and programming projects that provide students with the most current and hands-on experience of any Visual Basic book on the market. The number and range of projects give instructors the flexibility to adapt the course according to the interests and abilities of students. Some programming projects in later chapters can be assigned as end-of-the-semester projects.
Also available with MyLab Programming
MyLab™ is the teaching and learning platform that empowers you to reach every student. By combining trusted author content with digital tools and a flexible platform, MyLab personalizes the learning experience and improves results for each student.With MyLab Programming, students work through hundreds of short, auto-graded coding exercises and receive immediate and helpful feedback based on their work.
Note: You are purchasing a standalone product; MyLab Programming does not come packaged with this content. Students, if interested in purchasing this title with MyLab Programming, ask your instructor for the correct package ISBN and Course ID. Instructors, contact your Pearson representative for more information.
If you would like to purchase both the physical text and MyLab Programming, search for:
0135862167 / 9780135862162 Introduction to Programming Using Visual Basic Plus MyLab Programming – Access Card Package, 11e
Package consists of:
- 0135416116 / 9780135416112 MyLab Programming Standalone Access Card
- 0135416035 / 9780135416037 Introduction to Programming Using Visual Basic
Table of Contents
1. An Introduction to Computers and Problem Solving
2. Visual Basic, Controls, and Events
3. Variables, Input, and Output
5. General Procedures
8. Text Files
9. Additional Controls and Objects
11. Object-Oriented Programming
Appendix A ANSI Values
Appendix B How To
Appendix C Files and Folders
Appendix D Visual Basic Debugging Tools