My iPad for Kids is here to help your kids (and you!) get the most out of your iPad2, iPad 3rd or 4th generation, or iPad mini running iOS 6. Using full-color, step-by-step tasks, My iPad for Kids walks step-by-step through learning how to use your iPad for home, school, and just for fun! Grade specific chapters for grades 4-7 offer information on apps that are great resources for everything from music to art to spelling and math homework. In addition, you learn how to setup and configure all the features of your iPad, including connecting to networks, setting up and using email accounts, using Siri, downloading and installing apps, safely surfing the internet downloading and syncing music and videos, taking and sharing photos, playing games, as well as setting up restrictions (parental controls) and troubleshooting problems with your iPad, should any occur.
Full-color, step-by-step tasks walk you through learning how to use your iPad for home, school, and just for fun! Learn how to:
• Safely surf the Internet on the iPad to do research for school and find interesting facts.
• Use email, texting, and chat apps to stay in touch with friends, family, and teachers.
• Have fun (or do group projects for school) using FaceTime and Skype video chatting.
• Write emails, search the Web, and launch apps with your voice using Siri.
• Use the iPad in school and for homework. Four chapters of suggestions for grade-specific apps (4th through 7th grade) to help you excel in the classroom.
• Use the built-in Music app so you can rock out to your favorite tunes.
• Watch movies and TV shows from iTunes and videos on YouTube (only when homework is done, of course).
• Use iPad’s built-in cameras to take photos and video of you and your friends. Use the Photo Booth app to make them even more interesting—or a little crazy!
• Set new high scores playing the tens of thousands of great games available at the App Store.
• Discover great apps for school or just for fun through recommendations in nearly every chapter.
• Reassure your parents that you can use your iPad and the Internet safely and responsibly.
• Become your own tech support team by learning to maintain and solve problems with your iPad, including tips on restarting, backing up, and cleaning the iPad.
• Read about the latest iPad technologies, including iOS 6, Siri, and 4G LTE.
Download the sample pages (includes Chapter 7 and Index)
1 Please Touch: How the iPad Works 3
The On/Off/Sleep/Wake Button 4
Turning an iPad On and Off 4
Naptime for the iPad: Putting It to Sleep 4
Nice to Meet You: How to Know Which iPad You Have 5
Understanding the Buttons and Ports 6
Side Switch for Screen Lock or Mute 8
Controlling by Touch 9
Using the Home Screen 10
Know Your OS 12
2 Getting Started: Set Up and Sync Your iPad 15
Setting Up and Syncing Your iPad 16
Syncing with iTunes 24
Getting Music, Apps, and More at the iTunes Store 38
Downloading Using the iTunes App 38
Downloading Using the App Store App 41
iTunes Allowance: What It Is and Why Your Parents Should Give You One 44
Lost and Found: Find My iPad 46
Spotlight Search 48
Meet Your Digital Sidekick: Siri 49
Getting Answers with Siri 51
3 It’s All Yours! Customizing Your iPad 55
Changing the Wallpaper and Lock Screen 55
Putting Pictures on Your iPad 57
Arranging Your Apps and Making Folders 58
Editing and Deleting Folders 61
Customizing Your iPad’s Sounds 63
Choosing Your Sounds 63
Screen Brightness 64
4 Surf’s Up! Using the Internet 67
The Two Kinds of iPads 67
Wi-Fi iPads 69
Wi-Fi + 4G iPads 71
Let’s Go on Safari: Using the iPad Web Browser 71
Zooming In and Out 73
Why Some Sites and Videos Don’t Work 78
Save Your Favorite Pages with Reading List 79
Be Safe: On the Internet 81
Awesome Apps 82
5 Talk to Me: Texting, Chatting, and Email 85
Using Contacts 86
Awesome Apps 92
Using Messages 93
Managing Multiple Messages Conversations 97
Finding Great Texting Apps 99