PRODUCT SUPPORT ANNOUNCEMENT
See the latest about COVID-19 shipping availability and video/Web Edition load errors. Learn more.
• Helpful installation information for those installing their own systems – Devotes a full chapter to the subject (Ch. 2).
• Abundant pedagogical aids in each chapter:
· Each chapter has quiz questions, exercises, and at least one project.
· All quiz questions will be answered in the instructors guide.
· Exercises and projects do not generally have one concise and specific
answer and therefore are not *answered* in the instructor's guide, but
are discussed in such a way as to help the instructor know what a
"correct" solution would look like.
· Instructors are free to assign some, all, or none of any of the
quiz questions, exercises, and/or projects.
• Hundreds of command and code examples throughout.
• Approximately 50 diagrams throughout.
• Instructor’s Guide — Provides answers to quiz questions and helpful information concerning exercises and projects.
KEY BENEFITS:Offering full coverage of Linux in one source, this book documents the most commonly needed topics for new and experienced Linux users and programmers - including over 100 utilities and their common options. KEY TOPICS: Provides a good foundation of understanding for the most often-used Linux utilities. Devotes a chapter to helpful installation information for those who must install their own systems. Includes hundreds of command and code examples throughout. Provides approximately 50 diagrams throughout. Features FTP-able files; code used in the book will be made available on a website hosted by the publisher. MARKET: A useful reference for anyone using a Linux platform, including programmers, system administrators, and any user who must understand the operating system outside of a specific application.
What Is Linux? 1
Installing Your Linux System 17
GNU Utilities For Non-Programmers 43
GNU Utilities For Power Users 113
The Linux Shells 175
The Bourne Again Shell 211
The Korn Shell 255
The C Shell 307
Networking and The Internet 349
The Linux Desktop 391
C Programming Tools 417
Systems Programming 451
Linux Internals 555
System Administration 601