- Brings the book up-to-date for current risk assessment techniques, industry standards, and scenarios
- Integrates a wide spectrum of subject areas relevant to process safety, including fluid flow and kinetics
- Includes updated examples and homework problems throughout
- Contains extensively updated coverage of relief sizing, hazards identification, risk assessment, and other topics
- Adds 25 new incident case histories and 50 new problems on the accompanying website
- Helps chemical engineering programs meet emerging accreditation requirements related to chemical process safety
- Copyright 2019
- Dimensions: 7" x 9-1/8"
- Pages: 656
- Edition: 4th
- ISBN-10: 0-13-485777-1
- ISBN-13: 978-0-13-485777-0
The #1 Process Safety Guide, Now Extensively Updated for Current Industrial Processes, Systems, and Practices
Process safety has seen a dramatic consolidation of concepts in the past few years. Chemical Process Safety, Fourth Edition, provides students and working engineers with the understanding necessary to apply these new concepts to safely design and operate any process.
Long the definitive guide in the field, this edition fully reflects major recent advances in process safety technology and practice. Readers will find extensive new and updated coverage of relief sizing, hazards identification, risk assessment, and many other topics. Several chapters have been completely rewritten, and all are substantially modified. This textbook includes 50 new problems and solutions (mostly in SI units), and 25 new case histories.
- Safety culture
- Preventive and mitigative safeguards
- The CCPS 20 elements of Risk Based Process Safety (RBPS)
- Toxicology, industrial hygiene, and source models
- Hazardous material dispersion
- Fires, explosions, and concepts for preventing them
- Chemical reactivity
- Reliefs and relief sizing
- Hazards identification and evaluation
- Risk analysis and assessment, including Layer of Protection Analysis (LOPA)
- Safety strategies, procedures, designs, case histories, and lessons learned
Crowl and Louvar link key academic concepts to modern industrial practice, making this guide invaluable for all engineering students and for all working engineers.Register your product for convenient access to downloads, updates, and/or corrections as they become available. See inside book for details.
Online Sample Chapter
An Introduction to Chemical Process Safety
Download the sample pages (includes Chapter 1).
Table of Contents
- 1. Introduction
- 2. Toxicology
- 3. Industrial Hygiene
- 4. Source Models
- 5. Toxic Release and Dispersion Models
- 6. Fires and Explosions
- 7. Concepts to Prevent Fires and Explosions
- 8. Chemical Reactivity
- 9. Introduction to Reliefs
- 10. Relief Sizing
- 11. Hazards Identification.
- 12. Risk Assessment
- 13. Safety Procedures and Designs
- 14. Case Histories
We've made every effort to ensure the accuracy of this book and its companion content. Any errors that have been confirmed since this book was published can be downloaded below.
Download the errata (104 KB .pdf)